Bloggin' It

I'm Jessica and I married Andrew Blaylock on June 8, 2012. This is my account of our newly formed marriage!

SPOILER ALERT, it's going to involve a lot of food.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Orange Chicken

On Tuesday we had the following... I made orange chicken and rice.
I tried to make some homemade fortune cookies (you know I'm telling the truth about the homemade thing by just looking at those sad lumps). They turned out weird. The ends turned dark fast and the middle was soft. Maybe I need to flatten them out more but the batter wouldn't spread out. Hmmm.... trying to decide whether it's worth pursuing or just buying a stinkin bag of already-made fortune cookies....

The chicken was really easy. I followed this recipe:

Ingredients:
·         1 lb boneless skinless chicken, chopped into bite sized pieces
·         1/2 egg
·         3/4 teaspoon salt
·         1/2 to taste white pepper
·         1/2 to taste oil (for frying)
·         1/4 cup cornstarch, plus
·         1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
·         1/8 cup flour

Directions:
Place chicken pieces in large bowl.

1.    Stir in egg, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon oil and mix well.
2.    Stir cornstarch and flour together.
3.    Mix flour mixture and egg mixture.
4.    Add chicken pieces, stirring to coat.
5.    Heat oil for deep-frying in wok or deep-fryer to 375 degrees.
6.    Add chicken, small batches at a time, and fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden crisp.
7.    (Do not overcook chicken).
8.    Remove chicken from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; set aside.

Which was my own variation of this recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/panda-express-orange-chicken-103215?scaleto=3&mode=null&st=true. I found some Panda Express orange sauce at Winco for about 3 bucks, which I used instead of making my own. WHICH was nice :) It was a good meal and definitely switched things up for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment